Table of Contents
Selfies are here to stay, and it’s time to embrace them. These candid self-portraits are an excellent way to share how you’re feeling with friends and family. We can capture the joy and celebrate achievements and milestones. With today’s smartphones, they’re easy to master, but it does take practice and a few helpful pointers. Lighting, angles, and (of course) perfecting your selfie smile can all go a long way in upping your selfie game. Here are a few tips on taking a great selfie:
Selfie Tips From the Pros
Selfie queen Kim Kardashian offered three excellent tips for capturing the perfect shot in an interview with E! Entertainment News:
- Make sure you have good lighting.
- Take the selfie from above.
- Know and use your own best angles (for example, keeping your chin down is usually a good look).
Let’s take a closer look at the ins and outs of selfie magic:
- Get the right angles. Taking the selfie from higher than eye level is a must, so hold that camera high. Find the right distance from your face to avoid the dreaded double-chin effect. As annoying as it may seem, a selfie stick can help you achieve the perfect angle.
- Perfect your poses. For most of us, keeping the chin down creates the best look. And avoid looking at the camera straight on. Instead, look slightly to the side, somewhere between a profile and a direct shot.
- Great lighting matters. Popular Science magazine took a look at what makes for the best selfie lighting. Natural lighting is best, so if you’re inside, look for large windows instead of artificial overhead lighting. On the flip side, being out in the open on a bright sunny day won’t give you the best shots either. Instead, work with shadow and diffused natural light.
- Learn to use apps and filters for awesome results, but don’t overedit.
- Practice makes perfect. Keep taking selfies, and don’t feel self-conscious. You don’t have to share every single one–delete the shots you don’t like and keep shooting.
- Don’t be afraid to smile. If you’re self-conscious about your teeth or smile, there are plenty of approaches to overcome your concerns.
How To Get The Best Smile for Your Selfies
There’s nothing like a fabulous smile to make your selfie pop. Here are some things to think about:
- Go for a natural, authentic smile that doesn’t look fake or forced.
- Relax your entire body and especially your face.
- Think about your lipstick shade and color. Guys should keep lip balm on hand to avoid chapped lips.
- Practice smiling with your eyes, too. A smile is about more than your mouth.
- Think about something positive and fun as you take the shot. It helps light up your face.
- Don’t be afraid to show some teeth. It creates a warm, natural look. And excellent dental hygiene helps create a selfie-worthy smile.
Want Great Selfies? Take Care of Your Teeth
Excellent dental care and good hygiene are essential for oral health. Dental care also keeps your teeth looking great. Routine care is a vital component of a terrific smile. There are also lots of cosmetic procedures your family dentist can provide to improve your smile.
- Keep up with check-ups and cleanings every six months.
- Professional whitening in your dentist’s office is the best way to achieve dramatic results. Whitening systems like Zoom offer both in-office and take-home treatments that combine the stunning results of an in-office treatment with custom trays you take home for follow-up. Those take-home trays allow you to keep your teeth whiter longer and touch up at home as day-to-day staining happens.
- Veneers can help if you’re hesitant to smile because of stained, chipped or badly-shaped teeth. They’re custom-made shells that cover the front side of your teeth, allowing you to have the size, shape and color of your dreams.
- If you have cosmetic orthodontic issues that you want to correct as an adult, Invisalign may be for you. And you don’t have to see an orthodontist. Your family dentist can work with you right in their office to achieve the look you want. Invisalign is a truly 21st Century approach to straightening teeth. A custom-designed set of aligners are created that gently and gradually shift your teeth into place. We’ll give you a new set of aligners every two weeks, with results in six months to a year.
Your Family Dentist and The Perfect Selfie Smile
When your family dentist has decades of experience with cosmetic dentistry, it’s a win-win.
In addition to a solid commitment to protecting patients’ oral health, Dr. Hall has decades of experience in cosmetic dental care. Hall Family Dentistry understands that helping you look your best is important. A terrific smile helps with self-confidence and overall well-being. And snagging the perfect selfie is definitely a bonus. And remember, the CareCredit healthcare financing program covers cosmetic dentistry procedures and medically necessary dental work. It’s an excellent option for financing those well-deserved smile improvements.